Monday, August 1, 2011

Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with a Port Wine Dressing

    So since I have been in the kitchen trying new things out I thought that I would share my recipes with you! Well I went to one of the local farmer’s market this weekend and at almost every stand there were beets.  I thought to myself since I am on the mission of changes and trying new things I must grab a bunch of beets! I was scared because I have never worked with beets besides opening a can (yes I’ll have to say this is a little embarrassing to admit to all my foodie friends, but I have to tell the truth!) After a little research on how to work with these little “diamonds in the rough”, I came up with a recipe for them.   I hope you try it because the time it takes is so worth it! Enjoy!!

Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad with a Port Wine Dressing

Roasted Beets
1.      5-6 beets with greens trimmed and washed
2.      Olive Oil
3.      Salt/Pepper
4.      One small shallot , sliced
5.      Rosemary
6.      Two sheets of foil
*Preheat oven to 400*F*
Line a cookie sheet with a piece of foil. Place the washed and trimmed beets on the foil. Generously cover them with the olive oil. Take about a palm full of each spice (salt, pepper, and rosemary) and sprinkle them over the beets. Turn the beets on the foil to make sure all sides are covered. Then take the shallots and toss them in with the beets. Take the last piece of foil and cover the beets. Slightly roll the edges of the foil all around to form a “basket” like shape.  Place in oven and roast for about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on size of beets.  When you can pierce the beets with a fork smoothly then they are done.  Once cooled then peel skin off with a knife and then dice.

*Save the drippings with the shallots for the dressing.
Salad
1.      Fresh Arugula washed and patted dry
2.      Goat cheese
3.      Diced roasted beets
4.      Walnuts *optional*
5.      Port Wine Dressing

Port Wine Dressing
1.      One cup of a dry Port Wine
2.      Two tbsp. of cherry preserves
3.      The drippings from the roasted beets, shallots included.  
4.      Dash of salt and pepper
5.      ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
6.      3 tbsp. of sugar
7.      ¾ cup of olive oil

Place all ingredients except oil and sugar in a large pan over medium heat. Bring liquid mixture to a slight boil and boil till sauce starts to thicken. (About 5 minutes after boil) While boiling use a whisk to mixture and scrape bottom and sides. At the end of boil add the sugar and whisk.  Once sauce is done and cooled a bit pour sauce into processor and pulse for about a minute. Then pour olive oil slowly in processor while mixing.  Drizzle over salad and ENJOY!!




1 comment: