Thursday, August 18, 2011

Grandma's Stuffed Pepper

Hello again! Sorry for being MIA this past week or so but life has been pretty crazy with kids going back to school, work, and getting in all those last minute family outings before summer ends. And I also start back up to school with 5 classes starting next week so I think my plate is just about full! LOL! I have cooked a little with some good recipes and some flops but I do think those "flops" are what makes a GREAT recipe in the end...right?!
        
         Well for dinner tonight I made my Grandma's Stuffed Pepper recipe that she used to make a lot when I was younger. Every time I eat this meal I just think of my grandparent's and of the many, many special memories I have of them and with them.  I don't think I can even explain how much they mean to me, influenced my life, and how they really just gave me so much love that I needed and wanted. I was and am truly blessed to have had them in my life. Thank you both. XOXO
   So here is my special memory and all I ask is for you to cook this with love.... :-)

Stuffed Peppers


5 Green Peppers ( I used locally grown...always good to support your local farmers!)
1lb of cooked hamburger meat
small yellow onion chopped
chopped garlic
salt/pepper
olive oil
Worcestershire sauce
dash of hot sauce
2 (8oz) cans of tomato sauce w/Italian herbs
1 can of stewed tomatoes w/Italian herbs
1 cup of cooked rice (I used brown just to be a bit healthier!)
handful of grated Parmesan cheese
mozzarella cheese

Instructions

1.) Preheat oven to 350 F. After you cook your hamburger meat reserve some of the grease and cook the chopped onion and garlic for about 6-7 minutes and then place in a bowl with the cooked meat, cooked rice, salt and pepper (to your tasting), about 3-4 good dashes of the Worcestershire sauce, a good dash of hot sauce, and a handful of the Parmesan cheese. Mix well and then stir in the stewed tomatoes well.


2.)Wash your peppers and cut the tops off and clean out the inside of each one. You may need to even the bottoms to make them able to stand.

3.) Place peppers in a casserole style dish  (a 9x13 is a good size). Now spoon the meat/rice mixture into the peppers. Then sprinkle with the shredded Mozzarella chesse over each pepper.


4.)  Now pour cans of tomato sauce over the top of peppers and all over dish.

5.) Cover with foil and bake for about 35-45 mins.

6.) Enjoy!!


Ps...My grandma (And now I do) made this a whole meal by having them with mashed potatoes drizzled with the tomato sauce over them, and slow cooked green beans. Yummm....

2 comments:

  1. LOVE stuffed peppers! Your Grandma's recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete